Wednesday, October 17, 2007

A Story about Friendship


I first heard the name Hassan Hourani in Dorit Rabinyan's article 'The Exile's Return' in the Guardian in April 2004. Since then I've been trying to find a way to tell the story of their friendship, and in a style which reflects Dorit's prose and Hassan's drawings. In June of this year that opportunity arose. The film was commissioned by the 'Frameworks' scheme, a joint initiative of the Irish Film Board, RTE and The Arts Council of Ireland. This will be my fifth Frameworks film, and without doubt the most challenging to date. I set out from the start to reflect the true life circumstances with began with their meeting in late 2002 up until Hassan's untimely death in summer 2003 as faithfully as possible. To this end, I am retracing their footsteps, from the initial meeting on 8th Avenue in New York, through Hassan's home in Ramallah, and ultimately to the beach at Jaffa in Israel where Hassan drowned. I have been aided immeasurably in getting to this point by Dorit herself, Hassan's brothers Khaled and Mahmoud, as well as the Hourani family and Khaled's colleagues at the Palestine Art Academy. Preproduction begins this week, and my first step takes me to New York this friday to visit and film the places where Dorit and Hassan lived and worked.

4 comments:

Shivers said...

OH MY GOD... you certainly set a challenge for yourself!
I'm so impressed!

See ya Friday, buddy!

xx Shivers

Anonymous said...

Hello Andrew :-)

I was so happy to read about your movie. Hasan Hourani was also my friend, soul brother and mentor. I am working as an artist today because I met Hasan and everything he taught me.

If you need any information or help, feel free to contact me. I have a bunch of great stories too! We met in 2000 when I visited Palestine and I spent a lot of time with him in New York right before he left.

I wish you the Best of Luck to make this movie! Please add me if you having a mailing list. I intend to have my website up by August. I am dedicating the entire website to Hasan and will send you the link once its up. It's been years now that I've been painting and I've learned a lot, but Hasan's touch is still what helps to guide me the most.

Stay in touch,
Suzan Hammad
nazus48@gmail.com

Majeda said...

Salamat Andrew
I m happy to read about your movie ..hassan is my brother and I missed him so mush..so I was searching about ant thing new about him ...then I found this news..I wish luck for you .....if you need any thing you could contact me ..I live On California ....salamt
Majeda

Jed B. said...

Hasan is a man who touched me, and many people here in New York were he lived in some of our dark days after September 11. That he chose to make a children's book is no more accidental than how inspiring the art was to even those of us who've lost that innocence.

I have a bunch of pictures from an art project Hasan did in Williamsburg. If you want them, feel free to email me for copies. They are okay snapshots, but if they could help, they're yours.